Children - Adolescents - Adults
The Art and Play Therapy Center uses a kind and compassionate approach to individual counseling for children and adolescents and their families. Lyssa Harvey Ed.S is a child and adolescent counselor and a Licensed Professional Counselor, a Parenting Coach and a National Board Credentialed Art and Play Therapist who specializes in parenting issues.
Mrs. Harvey has been helping children and parents for over 30 years and has become one of Columbia’s experts in helping families. Mrs. Harvey practices child-centered models using Art and Play therapy interventions while working with parents to encourage change in the child's environment and parenting style.
- Parenting Sessions
- Individual Counseling Sessions
- Family Counseling Sessions
- Art Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Parenting Issues
- Divorce and Custody Issues
- Children and Adolescent Behavior
- School related Issues
- Communication Issues
- Childhood Anxiety and Phobia
- Depression, Grief and Loss for Children
- Trauma Related Issues
- Sexual Traumas
- Domestic Abuse
- Children with Special Needs
- Children with Developmental Disorders
- Children with Asperger’s
How will Counseling Benefit My Child?
Children benefit from counseling and Art and Play Therapy in many ways. Research supports the effectiveness of Art and Play Therapy with children experiencing a wide variety of social, emotional, behavioral and learning problems including: post-traumatic stress, conduct disorder, aggression, anxiety/fearfulness, depression, ADHD, impulsivity, low self-concept, phobias and social withdrawal. Counseling and Art and Play Therapy has been used successfully with children whose problems are related to life stressors, such as divorce, death, relocation, hospitalization, chronic illness, physical/sexual abuse, domestic violence and natural disasters.
Counseling Can Help Your Child...
- Take responsibility for their behavior and replace inappropriate behavior with more successful behavior;
- Develop new and creative solutions to their problems;
- Develop respect and acceptance of themselves and others;
- Learn to express emotion, become more compassionate and respect others;
- Learn new social skills and increase self-esteem.
How Can My Family Be Involved?
Families play an important role in a child's healing process. The interaction between a child's problem and their families is always complex. Sometimes children develop behaviors as a way of signaling that there is something wrong in the family. Other times the entire family becomes distressed because the child's problems are so disruptive. In all cases, children and families improve when they work together. Whatever the involvement, family members can be an important part of the child's behavior changes.
Our practice is a fee-for service practice. We do not work directly with insurance plans, but will provide statements that can be submitted to your insurance company for reimbursement. We accept cash, checks, debit cards, Visa or Mastercard, or Health Savings Account (HSA) Debit cards. Payment for our services are considered a medical expense and are fully deductible, according to the law, and maybe applied to flexible spending accounts.
- Individual Counseling: $95.00 / 50 minute session
- Art and Play Therapy: $95.00/ 50 minute session
- Family Sessions: $125.00/50 minute session
“Mrs. Harvey has been instrumental in bringing out joy and playfulness in my daughter. The benefits of having my daughter work with Mrs. Harvey over the past few years have been beyond measure.”